Octave package for Cygwin

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave package for Cygwin
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:39:59 -0500

On  2-Jun-2003, I wrote:

| Eventually, I would like to also have Cygwin packages for gnuplot (so
| you don't have to do the above step by hand), octave-forge, [...]

Packages for octave, gnuplot, and octave-forge are now available from
ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin.

Here is a more complete description of how to install Octave for
Windows using the Cygwin package system.  If you try this, please let
me know if there are any problems with the instructions.

    =====================================
    Installing Octave on a Windows System
    =====================================

    If you don't have a Cygwin installation on your system, start by
    installing Cygwin (this set of directions attempts to be very
    complete; it is not really much harder than clicking the next button
    several times and choosing a download site):

      1. Use your favorite browser to view the page http://www.cygwin.com

      2. Click on the "Install or update now" link.

      3. A dialog should appear with the option to run the setup program
         from its current location or save it to disk.  Either will work,
         but I usually choose to save the setup program to disk so that it
         is possible to run it later to update the installation without
         having to go back to the web page using a browser.

      4. Run the setup program.

      5. Choose "Install from Internet".

      6. Select a root install directory.  You may choose any directory, but
         it needs to have about 200MB available to install all the
         necessary Cygwin tools plus Octave.

         You may choose to install for just you or all users (if you have
         permission to do so).  I would select "Unix" as the default text
         file type (this option should be the default).

      7. Select a local package directory (the default should be fine).
         This is a directory that the setup program will use to
         temporarily store package files before installing them.  It
         should have plenty of space (probably 50MB or more).  You may
         delete this directory once the installation is complete.

      8. Select your Internet Connection.  Probably "Direct Connection" is
         OK unless you are behind a firewall of some kind that limits your
         access to the Internet.

      9. Choose a download site.  One that is "near" you on the net is
         probably best.  ALSO on this screen, add the User URL

           ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin

         in the text entry box and click the Add button.  At this point,
         you should have two download sites selected (one site from the
         original list which will give you access to all the base Cygwin
         packages and also the ftp.octave.org site which will give you
         access to the Octave packages).

     10. Select Packages.  You can accept the defaults here, except that
         you will need to select octave, octave-headers, and octave-forge
         if you want them, since they are not installed by default.  These
         packages should show up in the Math category.  If you choose to
         install Octave, the package dependencies should also give you the
         gnuplot package (which is in the Graphics category).

    When you finish the installation, choose to install an shortcut/icon
    on the desktop (that should be the default action).  Then you can run
    Octave by clicking on the Cygwin icon on the desktop (this will start
    bash in a window) and then typing octave at the prompt in that window.

    John W. Eaton
    address@hidden
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Department of Chemical Engineering