Re: Octave for Windows w/ Windows9x

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave for Windows w/ Windows9x
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:06:06 -0400

Agustin Barto wrote:

I tried the latest build of octave-2.1.49 on cygwin on a lot of
computers running on Win2K/XP with no problems, but on any Win9x/me I
tried the program hangs or pauses after entering every command (with
illegal operation messages here and there).

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Compiling from Windows9x/ME
might help?

Every command?  For me I get the illegal operation
messages every time octave calls fork().  Fork is
very slow (it makes a copy of the process rather
than being copy on write) which also explains the
pauses.

Instead of fork we should be using spawn.  Windows
has a pipe operation, and I tried linking against that,
but it didn't work for more complicated pipes.

system() is called for help and for the pager.  If you
don't use help, and you set page_screen_output=0,
you should be okay.  It is annoying waiting for it
to start up though.

The fork() problem is part of the reason compiles
take so long on cygwin.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden