Re: Octave-2.1.49 install woes

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave-2.1.49 install woes
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:55:06 -0400

Manojit Roy wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to configure Octave-2.1.49 with '--enable-shared' option.
Compilation and installation are finishing without a hitch, but while
attempting to launch, it exits with error

octave installs it's libraries in a non-standard place but
no longer uses rpath to find them.  If you configure with
--enable-rpath, then it works a little better, but it is
harder to test things in place.

It might work better if you changed the configure
scripts so that octave would create libs like
octave.so.2.1.49 and link specifically against
that version.  This could then be installed in the
usual lib directories and separate versions of
octave wouldn't collide.  I don't know how to
tell the linker to link against a specific version though.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden