free software and research

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: free software and research
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 03:09:36 -0500

Dear Octave users,

I am president of Associazione Software Libero
(http://softwarelibero.it/) from Italy, and I am also a researcher
(http://fly.cnuce.cnr.it/) and an old-time Octave user.

I am making an investigation trying to find evidence of official
policies in research institutes around the world about licenses of
programs released as part of research work.

The results of this investigation will be used to back political
pressure in my research institute, and then in other research institutes
in Italy and elsewhere, to adopt a formal policy that encourages
researchers to use a free software policy for research work.

Specifically, do you know of any institutions in Europe or elsewhere
that have a formal policy about what licenses should be used when
software produced in research projects is publicly released?

Do you know of any person whom I could ask?

Thanks for reading.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091