Re: Octave package for Cygwin

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: Octave package for Cygwin
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:

> While we are discussing Octave on Windows issues, I would like to
> announce an experimental package of Octave for Cygwin that I've been
> playing around with.  If you'd like to try it out, do the following
> (assuming you already have an up-to-date Cygwin installation on your
> system, see www.cygwin.com for that):

Superb!

>   * run the Cygwin setup.exe installer
>
>   * choose to install from the internet, and then when setup.exe asks
>     you to choose a download site (a few screens after choosing to
>     install from the internet), add the User URL
>
>       ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin

A link to this from
http://www.octave.org/download.html
would be really great.

>   * The next screen after that should be Select Packages, and two

[snip snap]

> Eventually, I would like to also have Cygwin packages for gnuplot (so
> you don't have to do the above step by hand), octave-forge, atlas,
> blas, lapack, fftw, and libhdf5.  If anyone would like to help with
> this effort, please let me know.  It is fairly easy to build packages
> for Cygwin.

At the moment, I can contribute a bottle or two of wine
from obscure, yet highly regarded boutique California
wineries... (wineware?).

> Finally, I think packages like the one Agustin Barto has been working
> on are useful and some people may prefer them over the Cygwin
> packages.  OTOH, if you have a fast connection to the net and want to
> install Cygwin anyway, you might find the Cygwin package system to be
> more convenient as it will allow you to install and upgrade Octave
> within an existing Cygwin installation.

This really would be convenient for cygwin users with fast
connections.  Since many windows users I know will not
use cygwin, Agustin's work will also be useful, especially
if it can install from a cd image.

Dave Doolin