contour changes the number of levels

From: Niels L. Ellegaard
Subject: contour changes the number of levels
Date: 23 Apr 2003 12:08:27 +0200

I am trying to use octave to make a contour plot, but I have a little
problem. My problem is that the function contour seems to change the
number of contour levels. Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug?

GNU Octave, version 2.1.36 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

octave:1> x = y = [0:0.01:2];
octave:2> z = sin(x' * y);
octave:3> gset contour
octave:4> gset cntrparam levels incremental -1,0.05,1
octave:5> gshow contour
octave:6>
        contour for surfaces are drawn in 40 levels on grid base
                as linear segments
                40 incremental levels starting at -1, step 0.05, end
0.95
        contour line types are varied & labeled with format '%8.3g'

octave:6> contour(x,y,z)
octave:7> gshow contour
octave:8>
        contour for surfaces are drawn in 10 levels on grid base
                as bspline approximation segments of order 4 with 5
pts
                10 incremental levels starting at -1, step 0.05, end
-0.55
        contour line types are varied & labeled with format '%8.3g'

Note that the number of levels has changed
--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/