Re: how to make Octave find ATLAS BLAS?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: how to make Octave find ATLAS BLAS?
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 01:08:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Mike Miller wrote:

> I'm trying to compile octave 2.1.46 under Solaris.  It seems to go OK
> except that I see this after running ./configure:
>
>   BLAS libraries:
>
> So it looks like it didn't find ATLAS.  What do I have to do to tell it
> where to find the ATLAS files?

INSTALL.OCTAVE tells me this:

    `--without-blas'
          Compile and use the generic BLAS and LAPACK versions included
          with Octave.  By default, configure first looks for BLAS and
          LAPACK matrix libraries on your system, including optimized
          BLAS implementations such as the free ATLAS 3.0, as well as
          vendor-tuned libraries.  (The use of an optimized BLAS will
          generally result in several-times faster matrix operations.)
          Only use this option if your system has BLAS/LAPACK libraries
          that cause problems for some reason.  You can also use
          `--with-blas=lib' to specify a particular BLAS library
          `-llib' that configure doesn't check for automatically.

but what is 'lib'?  Should that be the directory containing the atlas
libraries?  If so, I tried that and configure still finished with a blank
line after "BLAS libraries:".  I guess I'm just not quite getting it and I
need a tip.

Thanks.

Mike