Re: Nonlinear equation

From: Lorenzo Fiorentini
Subject: Re: Nonlinear equation
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:35:09 +0200

Of course fsolve works without need of a derivative function;
this simply means that it does not implement, strictly
speaking, the Newton's method, which by definition needs it.

As far as I can see here:
http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/textbooks/octave/octave_19.html
http://www.math.utah.edu/software/minpack/minpack/hybrd.html
fsolve uses a Powell hybrid method which relies on a finite
difference estimation for calculating a numerical jacobian.

Lorenzo

Il 16/04/2003 14.42.00, Heber Farnsworth
<address@hidden> ha scritto:

>I think you may be confused.  Fsolve implements Newton's
method (with a
>dogleg search as I recall) and it does not need you to
calculate an