RE: cd problems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: cd problems
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:24:08 -0500

On  2-Apr-2003, Luke Scharf <address@hidden> wrote:

| It sounds like you're in Octave rather than in a Unix shell.  My fault
| -- I made some assumptions about what was going on.
|
| I hadn't noticed that Octave stays in line-continuation-mode when
| there's a blank line.  Learn something every day.  The way to get out of
| the "cd \" mess is to just type something on one of the lines and press
| enter.

This problem seems to be only true for "commands".  For example, here
is what I see with a simple expression:

  octave:1> 1 + \
  >                        ### a return was typed here...
  parse error:

      ^

but for a command like ls, additional newlines are ignored.  Perhaps
they should not be?  Also, the behavior is the same for "..." as a
continuation marker.

jwe