Re: How to call Maxima functions from Octave

From: Poul-Erik Hansen
Subject: Re: How to call Maxima functions from Octave
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:59:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

I believe that Jeffrey O. Bauer have made an an interface between Maxima and
Octave at Wayne State College's Mathematics Department. Have a look at
http://academic.wsc.edu/mathsci/bauer_j/menu.html.

However I have not been successfully in getting into contact with him yet

Best regards
Poul-Erik

Quoting James Amundson <address@hidden>:

> On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 11:51, John W. Eaton wrote:
> > On 16-Feb-2003, Poul-Erik Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > | I use Octave and the computer algebra system Maxima on Linux and
> > | Windows platforms. I use Octave for the numerical work and Maxima
> > | for my symbolic work.  I would like to merge the two program so
> that
> > | I could call Maxima functions from within Octave! Have you succede
> > | in doing this and how did you do it?
> >
> > I don't know of any efforts to link maxima with Octave.  but if
> > anyone has plans to do something like this, I'd be interested in
> > knowing about your progress or any problems you've had.
>
> I would also encourage anyone interested in such a project to talk to
> me. Here are some relevant facts:
>       1) I am the Maxima project leader.
>       2) I use Octave every day in my work. (That's work as in "what I get
> paid to do," not work as in "Maxima work.")
>       3) I have spent a great deal of time thinking about ways that Maxima
> and Octave might talk to each other, but have not come to any definite
> conclusion.
>       4) Some sort of Maxima-Octave communication is likely to be an
> official
> part of Maxima some time in the future, but we have several more
> pressing issues (read "bug fixing") to deal with first.
>
> I should probably add:
>       5) I am not on the help-octave list -- I just peruse the mailing-list
> archives from time to time. Please cc responses sent to the list to me.
>
> --
> James Amundson <address@hidden>

Poul-Erik Hansen                                E-mail address@hidden
Senior Scientist & Founder                      Phone  +45 44 94 58 52
LuKa OptoScope                                  Fax    +45 44 50 32 59
Symfonievej 22, 1. sal                          URL    www.lukaoptoscope.com

2730 Herlev
Denmark