RE: cd problems

From: Julian DeMarchi
Subject: RE: cd problems
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:25:16 -0500

Unfortunately, you need to type (assuming you are running Octave under CygWin)

        cd /cygdrive/c/emme2

Indeed this is contrary to Windows OS convention, but remember Cygwin is a
Linux emulator running under Windows, so the file system conventions in Octave
follow Linux and Unix conventions, not Windows.  Although, I do vaguely
remember someone talking about a macro that will perform the translation for
you -- anyone?

On the topic you raise, though, watch out for backslashes native to Windows.
For example (for reasons I do not know), if you were to type

        cd \

you could end up having a hard time breaking out.. I would hazard a guess that
the "\" is interpreted as a line continuation of sorts, but the only way I
could figure out to break out was to close the Octave session.

So, any tips on how to make the file system interface more "native friendly"
would be appreciated.  Perhaps we could include the necessary macros or
mappings as part of the Windows installation.

- Julian