Octave "sombrero" logo

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave "sombrero" logo
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:33:23 -0600

On 28-Feb-2003, Andy Adler <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'd like to know what the official code is
| to create the various logos on www.octave.org.
|
| This is the
| - octave "sombrero"

This is just sombrero.m, but the data may have been plotted by using
gnuplot directly.  I used set contour and some other options.

| - the chaotic strange attractor

I think the function and starting point was:

  function y = lorenz (x, t)
    y = [10 * (x(2) - x(1));
         x(1) * (28 - x(3));
         x(1) * x(2) - 8/3 * x(3)];
  endfunction
  x = lsode ("lorenz", [3; 15; 1], (0:0.01:25)');

If you run this and then do

  gset parametric
  gsplot x

it should get you close to the figure on the web page.  I also removed
the axes from the plot:

  gset noxtics
  gset noytics
  gset noztics
  gset noborder
  gset nokey

I think I may have changed the default view angle a bit too, but I
don't remember.  I originally had an animation with this object
rotating, but removed that from the web page because it was a GIF file
and because I thought it was kind of annoying after a while...

jwe