Get names of variables in symbol table

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Get names of variables in symbol table
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:09:04 -0600

On 22-Feb-2003, Andy Adler <address@hidden> wrote:

| Is there a way to get the names of all the current variables,
| or, alternatively, all the variables in a *.mat file.
|
| I want to load a *.mat file and process each variable.
| The best idea that I've currently though of is
|
| x=system(['echo "load datafile.mat; whos" | octave -qfH | ' ...
|
| now x is a list of the variables in datafile.mat
|
| I hope theres an easier way?

I think so, at least with recent 2.1.x snapshots.  If you use

  x = load ("file.mat");

then x should be a struct with each element corresponding to a
variable in the file.  Then you can use struct_elements to get the
list of names (which reminds me that we should probably have a
fieldnames function for Matlab compatibility...).

jwe