[ANNOUNCE] an octave wiki

From: D. Goel
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] an octave wiki
Date: 17 Feb 2003 15:31:31 -0500

Greetings

i am a fan of GNU octave, using it more and more every day.  Am also a
fan of the concept of wiki[1]. I have noticed how quickly
http://www.emacswiki.org became into a very useful information
storehouse for everyone, and so was inspired to start a wiki for
octave.

   [1] I know most of you must already know this, but:

        A wiki is a way of creating a web of documents, with a very
        easy way to create hyperlinks - just by using CamelCaps

        Most wikis (ours too) are publicly editable, anyone clicks
        "Edit" on any page.. and edits away.. using CamelCaps to
        create new links..

Have noticed that octave code gets posted to the mailing lists here,
which means searching for octave code for newbies must not be very
easy.

With help from Edward O' Conner (host), have started an octave wiki at

http://www.scarymath.org/octave.pl

The aim is that people edit appropriate portions of the octave wiki to
link to their online code.  You may, of course, include some code
within the pages of the wiki itself.  The wiki does not have a
separate "upload" area -- a place where anyone would be able to upload
files of code onto the wiki, as of now, but that is being worked
on.. perhaps we don't need it, esp. since i spotted a repository on
the web--- http://octave.sourceforge.net/ ?

(The wiki also has a section that mirrors the official Octave Manual,
the idea being that people enhance these sections based on their
experiences..  We hope that those sections become useful enough that
material from there makes into the official manual).

There are some other sections on the wiki as well, and of course, you
can add more..

Everything on the wiki is FDLed (freely distributable under the FDL
license).  This wiki also handles inline latex... viz: you type $$
\alpha $$ and what shows up is an image of alpha.

Please let me know what you all think.

DG                                 http://gnufans.net/