Re: Blocking I/O to gnuplot pipe

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Blocking I/O to gnuplot pipe
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:15:06 -0600

On 15-Feb-2003, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| The replot problem however will be a real pain. I think the solution Andy
| suggested is the best, since at least it is consistent with what is done
| with a straight gplot call.

Since you are writing to a temporary file, perhaps we need a
function that generates a unique temporary file name, opens it, and
adds the name to the list of files marked for deletion.

I've added the following functions to the CVS archive.  I think
mkstemp might help.

 - Built-in Function: [FID, NAME, MSG] = tmpfile (TEMPLATE, DELETE)
     Return the file ID corresponding to a new temporary file with a
     unique name created from TEMPLATE.  The last six characters of
     TEMPLATE must be `XXXXXX' and tehse are replaced with a string
     that makes the filename unique.  The file is then created with
     mode read/write and permissions that are system dependent (on
     GNU/Linux systems, the permissions will be 0600 for versions of
     glibc 2.0.7 and later).  The file is opened with the `O_EXCL' flag.

     If the optional argument DELETE is supplied and is true, the file
     will be deleted automatically when Octave exits, or when the
     function `purge_tmp_files' is called.

     If successful, FID is a valid file ID, NAME is the name of the
     file, and and MSG is an empty string.  Otherwise, FID is -1, NAME
     is empty, and MSG contains a system-dependent error message.

 - Built-in Function: [FID, MSG] = tmpfile ()
     Return the file ID corresponding to a new temporary file with a
     unique name.  The file is opened in binary read/write (`"w+b"')
     mode.  The file will be deleted automatically when it is closed or
     when Octave exits.

     If successful, FID is a valid file ID and MSG is an empty string.
     Otherwise, FID is -1 and MSG contains a system-dependent error
     message.

jwe