Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues

From: ismail (cartman) donmez
Subject: Re: gcc | Octave 2.1.4x | saga continues
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:05:54 +0200

On Friday 14 February 2003 18:11, Evan Cooch wrote:
> To re-cap, I've been using 2.1.39 successfully on my RH 7.3 system, which
> has the 2.9.6 gcc compiler bundled. Several people have told me the this
> version of gcc is 'buggy' (confirming suspicions I've had).

Buggy with some assembly code + STL and more sophisticated C++ features not
supported. You may like to see http:///gcc.gnu.org/gcc296.html.

> However, starting with Octave 2.1.40, this version of gcc no longer
> successfully compiles Octave. The solution (as several folks have
> suggested) is to upgrade to a more recent flavour of gcc. I did so, to
> 3.2.2. While the Octave make for 2.1.4x seems to get further along than it
> did with gcc 2.9.6, it still crashes and burns.
I suspect you messed up gcc libs its always useful to give output of

rpm -qa | grep gcc
rpm -qa | grep libstdc++

>Turns out that the make is
> looking for several things which are not located under RH where they might
> be under other version of GNU/Linux

Just ask if you have a problem someone will probably answer...

> (specifically, Debian, which seems to  be the reference standard).

Its not a standart .

<snip>
> After about 2 hours of fiddling (adding this library, or that package), I
> decided to give up, and stick with 2.1.39. With RH, once you start mucking
> around with compilers, you can screw up a LOT of things (I made this
> mistake 2 months ago trying to upgrade python - had to do a complete
> re-install to recover).
<snip>

Well I used Mandrake & Slackware now I only use Slackware base system + I
compile my own program and it works fine after big efforts of course. I would
say that rule of thumb is "Use rpm & deb or compile from source , do not mix
them!". For example if I need a foo.rpm package I download src.rpm than use
rpm2targz to convert it then compile own my own and it works fine. As an
example I got db4 package from  Debian packages ( includes nice fixes ) and
fileutils package from redhat ( contains security fixes ) .

Hope you get the idea! :)

--
It's clever, but is it art?