duplicate values in 3D space

From: Iago Mosqueira
Subject: duplicate values in 3D space
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:21:17 -0000

When I need to estimate the mean of values (data) falling in the same
latitude (y) and longitude (x), I do

sparse(x,y,data,max(x)-min(x),max(y)-min(y))./sparse(x,y,ones(length(x)),max
(x)-min(x),max(y)-min(y))

but I now need to do this in 3D space. I have tried with a loop that does
the same calculation for each value of z, but it becomes very slow in my
600x600x120 space. Is there any simpler way of doint that (finding points
that share 2 or 3 values)? What is the present state of 3D matrices support
in octave CVS?

Cheers,

iago