Re: Bizarre Error

From: pand9613
Subject: Re: Bizarre Error
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:33:53 +1100

Jwe,
Since you used the variable "a" in your testfile.dat and then run the code, a
is reassigned to [1,2;3,4] and hence does not initiate a second running of the
while loop. (since the value of "a" is the condition). Try a different variable
name and let me know the results.

Also I just found that i did infact need to run the code from inside a while
loop to get the error however once the error had occurred once it would occur
again whether the lines of code were run inside the while loop or not. This
continued until i restarted octave.
Cheers
Peter Anderson

Quoting "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>:

> On 13-Feb-2003, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Okay to make everyones life easier i have isolated the problem:
> |
> | i have written a new function that has the same problem:
> | %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> | function test
> | a=1
> | while a==1
> | loadline=['load -force testfile.dat'];
> | eval(loadline);
> | userin=input('>>','s');
> | userin=str2num(userin)
> | if userin==0
> | return
> | end
> | end
> | %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> |
> | just create the file testfile.dat containing any old stuff then run this
> | function. Test different strings...a string prefixed by a number produces
> an
> | error.
>
> This seems to work correctly for me with 2.1.44:
>
>   octave:1> test
>   a = 1
>   >>abc123
>   userin = [](0x0)
>   octave:2> test
>   a = 1
>   >>123abc
>   userin = [](0x0)
>
> You say that the contents of testfile.dat doesn't matter, but in case
> it does, I used:
>
> # Created by Octave 2.1.44, Wed Feb 12 18:16:03 2003 CST <address@hidden>
> # name: a
> # type: matrix
> # rows: 2
> # columns: 2
>  1 2
>  3 4
>
> jwe

This mail sent through IMP: www-mail.usyd.edu.au