Re: Strings not compatible with Matlab?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Strings not compatible with Matlab?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:42:54 -0500

Julian DeMarchi wrote:

There's also the poor man's (older Matlab) hack -- basically same as the above
-- declaring

        function assignin(ws,name,v);
                evalin(ws, [name '=' num2str(v)]);

..which works because num2str() acts more accurately as if it would be called
makestr() (turns anything into type string, meaning the function does not break
even when v is not numeric).

As for Octave, if you hack

        function evalin(ws,name,v);
                eval([name '=' num2str(v)]);

Then you're all set.
I believe you mean assignin here.  Regardless, it will not work.  If
it does, that means there is a bug in octave.

(Octave/forge supports neither assignin nor evalin.)

octave now supports evalin (cvs version).
Disclaimer: Note however I am not entirely clear on how Octave variable scope is handled. I notice that the above example works fine in octave so long as endfunction is not used to conclude function evalin().
Paul Kienzle
address@hidden