Getting working version?

From: James Frye
Subject: Getting working version?
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:55:07 -0800 (PST)

Well, I'm still having problems trying to compile the source from
octave.org.  The latest is "parse error before '__ctype_b' in load-save.cc
at lines 1996 and 2000.  It seems to be a consequence of the syntax
"! ::isalnum ()".  At least, if I change it to "!isalnum ()", the compile
continues past that point, it compiles a lot more stuff, but eventually
chokes in what I think is the link.  It produces the longest error message
I remember ever seeing - seems to be saying something about an undefined
reference to _Rb_tree in stl_tree.h at line 582.

It's getting to the point where I seem to just be wasting my time trying
to compile something that appears to have been written as an exercise in
using arcane language features that are supported by only a handful of
compilers.

Is there any way to simply get a working binary distribution, say a Linux
RPM, or even just everything in a .tgz file?  The octave.org page says
that binaries are available from Linux vendors, but I can't find any sign
of them on either the SuSe or Red Hat web sites.  There is an older binary
on the distribution CD (2.0.14 or some such), but that doesn't work at
all.

James