Compile sourceforge version?

From: James Frye
Subject: Compile sourceforge version?
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:11:21 -0800 (PST)

I get the following error when trying to build octave from the code
version downloaded from sourceforge.net (using the instructions there for
a CVS download).  I followed the instructions listed under "Details" in
the INSTALL file, using configure options "--with-path=$HOME/octave/octave-forge
--prefix=$HOME".

  sqrtm.cc:192: 'lo_ieee_inf_value' undeclared (first use this function)
  make[1]: *** [sqrtm.oct] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/james/octave/octave-forge/FIXES'
  make: *** [FIXES/] Error 2

Looking at that source file suggested that it's not finding the
<octave/*.h> include files, perhaps due to them being wherever they wind
up in the default "install as root" configuration, and not under my home
directory.

I tried to fix this by downloading & installing the latest (I think)
source package, 2.1.40, but I get errors trying to compile that too.  (In
DASPK.cc, complaining about forward declarations of class bad_alloc.

So how do I get this to compile, so I can check out the latest fixes?

Thanks,
James

PS: The system has 2.1.34 installed.  I'll try to compile & install on my
personal system tonight (assuming I can get the @address@hidden  CD burner to
work
today), in case it's just a matter of not having root access or some
such.