Problems compiling gendoc.cc (octave 2.1.40, alphaev6-dec-osf5.0)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problems compiling gendoc.cc (octave 2.1.40, alphaev6-dec-osf5.0)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:43:40 -0600

On 10-Dec-2002, Andreas Helms <address@hidden> wrote:

| I have following problem compiling Octave
|

| make[4]: Entering directory`/home/puppis/helms/software/octave-objdir/src'
| g++ -o gendoc gendoc.cc
| gendoc.cc:102: macro `XDEFUN_DLD_INTERNAL' used with too many (28) args
| gendoc.cc:111: macro `XDEFUN_DLD_INTERNAL' used with too many (8) args
| make[4]: *** [gendoc] Error 1
| make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/puppis/helms/software/octave-objdir/src'
| make[3]: *** [src-DOCSTRINGS] Error 2
| make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/puppis/helms/software/octave-objdir/doc/interpreter'
| make[2]: *** [interpreter] Error 2
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/puppis/helms/software/octave-objdir/doc'
| make[1]: *** [doc] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/puppis/helms/software/octave-objdir'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
|
| I use gcc 2.95.3
|
| Attached is the file gendoc.cc (till line 120, gzipped).

My guess is that this is a problem with sed.  Can you please try
installing GNU sed and make sure that Octave uses it when generating
gendoc.cc (look for the definition of SED in Makeconf)?

There is now a test in Octave's configure script that tries to avoid
broken sed implementations, but apparently the test is not
sufficient.  Would someone please take another look at this problem
and see if there is a better solution?

Thanks,

jwe