compiling octave-2.1.40

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: compiling octave-2.1.40
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:19:46 -0600

On  3-Dec-2002, Eugenio SEGUIN <address@hidden> wrote:

| Hi, when I run make in octave-2.1.40, I have de follwing error
| message:
|
| /usr/bin/ld:
| pass1: 'libcruft.so' is specified as both an input and output file, this
| is not allowed.
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[3]: *** [libcruft.so] Error 1
| make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/eseguin/octave1/octave-
| 2.1.40/libcruft'
| make[2]: *** [libraries] Error 2
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/eseguin/octave1/octave-
| 2.1.40/libcruft'
| make[1]: *** [libcruft] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/eseguin/octave1/octave-
| 2.1.40'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
|
| The systen is: alphaev67-dec-osf5.1 and I compiling with gcc-3.2
|
| Can somebody help me.

If you want someone to help you, you are probably going to have to
provide more information, such as the series of commands that produced
the error above.  What *complete* compiler/linker command did make
actually run?

The link command should be

  libcruft.$(SHLEXT): $(CRUFT_PICOBJ)
        rm -f $@
        $(SH_LD) $(SH_LDFLAGS) $(SONAME_FLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LINK_DEPS)

and LINK_DEPS should be defined as

  # include BLAS and FFTW just in case some of libcruft depends on them
  ifeq ($(INCLUDE_LINK_DEPS),true)
    LINK_DEPS = $(BLAS_LIBS) $(FFTW_LIBS) $(FLIBS)
  endif

but it will only be defined if the INCLUDE_LINK_DEPS variable is set
to true (is it?) and even then, it should not include libcruft.so.
The list of object files, CRUFT_PICOBJ should not include libcrutf.so
either.  Perhaps SONAME_FLAGS is incorrect for your system?  What is
it defined to be?

If you think you've found a bug in Octave (including a bug in the
build process), please submit a complete bug report to the bug-octave
mailing list.  If you aren't sure what to include in a complete bug
report, please read the chapter in the Octave manual about how to
write a useful bug report.  http://www.octave.org/bugs.html.

Thanks,

jwe