Re: NaNs in ascii

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: NaNs in ascii
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:07:56 -0600

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:57:51PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > 2.1.37 is fairly fresh we can't really expect everyone to be quite there
> > yet.
>
> Also, when you refer to 2.1.37 on your web pages as "unstable," 2.1.36 is
> called "testing" and 2.1.35 is called "stable" don't be surprised if
> people stick with 2.1.35 even if you don't want them to...
>
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages2.pl?keywords=octave2.1&searchon=names&version=all&release=all

That is the codename of the entire distribution. New packages get inserted
at the "top", i.e. the freshest end.  2.1.37-2 should migrate into testing
in a few days, provide we don't get new bugs and hence fresh Debian
releases.

Because the codename is for the distribution, nothing stops you to a) "plug
and play" and e.g. install something from unstable on testing (library deps
permitting), or b) go the classic route of recompiling. You can do that
inside our packaging structure, and is essentially still just one command.

This is getting *way* off-topic. Feel free to ask me more in private if
you're interested.

> > That said, my Debian packages are available on eight different platforms
> > (alpha hppa ia64 i386 mips powerpc sparc s390) and only one installation
> > command away.
>
> I appreciate your efforts.  I assume this means that these packages
> install under Debian Linux on those cpu architectures.  That is good, but
> it won't help me because I'm running Solaris, AIX and IRIX on the machines
> I'm using right now (mine is Solaris, the others are in our supercomputing
> institute -- www.msi.umn.edu).  I got the supercomputer team to install
> Octave even though they are running MATLAB.  I want to develop for Octave
> and I don't care so much if the code runs on MATLAB.

Your choice, your cost/benefit analysis. I can help only "in the large" (by
pointing out that you need to upgrade/recompile Octave for this current
problem of yours) and "in the small" by taking care of Octave (and a few
other things) for Debian.

If Octave is critical for you, listening to the announcement mailing list
and doing a recompilation every other couple of month should hopefully be
acceptable. Else outsource it to a grad student or research assistant, That
said, I can't speak to how hard it is to keep the toolchain aligned on
Solaris, Aix, Irix.

> If you (or anyone else) can suggest the best way to keep my Solaris/sparc
> Octave up to date without too much exertion of time, I'm listening.

That, unfortunately, is not an area I know (or care) that much about.

Regards,  Dirk

--
The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology
look respectable.                    -- John Kenneth Galbraith