getting graph coordinates and others

From: Jérôme LEFEVRE
Subject: getting graph coordinates and others
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:49:40 +1100

Hi,

I 'm new octave user and i try to adapt matlab tool with octave and gnuplot. Tools are mesh builder and tide analyser for oceanographic and finite element model purpose.

1/

My main problem is with interactive dialog between octave and gnuplot, specialy with getting graph coordinates from plot.
With ginput, i can get screen ccordinates, but not directly "real" graph coordinates.

In a other hand, new gnuplot package (3.8) integrate mouse support, which allow user to zoomin, grab a point from plot with pointer and so on.
In gnuplot help, man can read clipboard notion too.

I have played a little around octave and gnuplot, but i don't interstand how to act interactively between octave and gnuplot new feature. I think that there is a mean to get or copy graph coordinates toward octave, but i don't know how.

Anybody has an idea or a trick ??

2/

In FAQ, contributor and developper reffer others plot package, like plplot or pgplot.
Do these plot pakage really support getting "real" graph coordinates and act interactivily with octave ?

3/

Matlab Toolbox from DARTMOUTH Numerical and Mathematical Laboratory are using to generate and edit Finite Element Mesh.
Slowy, i adapt program and function with octave, but i fear to meet problem with calculation time consumption. I work with large matrice (200000 - 500000 rows) and i will request octave for work like editing, interpolation, renumbering, bandwith reduction, refinment and diagnostic and final mesh plotting.
Will Octave bring off this challenge ?

Many thanks for your hint.

Best regards.

Jerome Lefevre.