Re: Octave on a handheld?

From: Ben Harris
Subject: Re: Octave on a handheld?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:25:55 -0500

On the one hand, it is conceivable that one could target the Palm operating
system using this toolchain:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/gcc/

On the other, the Palm-based systems might not have the resources. It's
hard to guess what the octave image size would be, but if it is comparable
to what I have in Cygwin/Windows--around 7 Mb--this would take up a lot of
free memory. Also the 33MHz Dragonball processor might not be responsive
enough. But for problems you would solve by hand, like inverting matrices
and such, it might be responsive enough.

Hmmm.... maybe I should stick to the Agenda and the Zaurus.

--Ben

                      "Michael Rakijas"

                      <address@hidden        To:       address@hidden

                      n.com>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Octave on a
handheld?
                      09/19/2002 12:26

                      PM

Just in case one needs to see whether there is interest, as a Palm-based
Visor user, I'd love to see a version available for it.

-Rocky
_______________
Michael Rakijas Ph.D.
address@hidden

                      "Dirk

                      Eddelbuettel"            To:      "Ben Harris"
<address@hidden>,
                      <address@hidden>
address@hidden
                                               cc:

                      09/19/2002 09:00         Subject: Re: Octave on a
handheld?
                      AM

> Has anyone compiled Octave for a handheld computer (Sharp Zaurus, Agenda
> VR3, Ipaq running Linux, Palm or WinCE)?

I think for some of the arm-based ones (Zaurus ?), people use Debian's
packages
for the arm architecture.

I don't know about the other platforms.

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally
worthless.