Re: Problem installing Octave on Mac OS 10.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem installing Octave on Mac OS 10.2
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:47:12 -0500

On 19-Sep-2002, Per Persson <address@hidden> wrote:

| BTW, if you are using the CVS version of octave, you'll need to work
| around a (known and reported) bug (sigh...) in Apple's gcc by commenting
| out every instance of '#pragma interface'.... or alternatively try using
| -fno-rtti when compiling (it won't get you all the way though:-( )

I've checked in some changes so that instead of

  #if defined (__GNUG__)
  #pragma interface
  #endif

we now have

  #if defined (USE_PRAGMA_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENTATION)
  #pragma interface
  #endif

and then in config.h,

  #if defined  (__GNUG__)
  #define USE_PRAGMA_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENTATION 1
  #endif

so that you only have to change one line (you'll need to update, run
autoconf and then configure again to regenerate the config.h file).

If you can tell me what preprocessor macros and versions of g++ have
the bug (or better, some way to test for the bug, so we don't have to
rely on version info), then we could add that information to the
generated config.h file so that you would not need to make any change
at all after running configure.

| There are a few more quirks, but a lot less than there used to be:-)

If you (or others) can please let me know what the problems are, then
perhaps we can come up with some fixes for the Octave sources to
eliminate most or all of the problems that remain.

Thanks,

jwe