Re: Libstdc++ Problems

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Libstdc++ Problems
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:06:40 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, David Nordquest wrote:

> is called "dependency hell."  Can I use a symbolic link or any other
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No, it does not. It just tells you that you are trying to install binary
build for a different system. The best way is to get source and recompile it
yourself. You can either get a .src.rpm and do 'rpm --rebuild' on it,
or just fetch original tarball from octave.org and do ./configure make
make install thing. The first one is preferable if you want to replace
an original octave with the new one, the second if you want to install
the new one (in /usr/local or something) in _addition_ to the original one.
The second one let you also play with configurations etc...

> trick to get around this?  Is it an rpm problem avoidable by using other
> install techniques?  It seems to be a major problem with at least Redhat.
>
> Thanks!
> David Nordquest,
> Gannon University

Regards,

Dmitri.

p.s. If you feel lucky, you can do 'rpm --nodeps' and it might work,
but usually it is a really bad idea...