Re: leasqr question

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: leasqr question
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 00:08:23 -0500 (CDT)

I don't agree.  No matter how the regression is accomplished (linear,
nonlinear, least squares, random guesses, goat entrails), the geometry
should work just fine.  You have a set of observed values and a
corresponding set of predicted values.  Combining these, you produce a set
of residual values (observed minus predicted).  The R^2 is always the same
thing:

   R^2 = [var(observed) - var(residual)] / var(observed)

So it's the proportion of variance accounted for by the regression.  It is
nearly as easy to compute R^2 in nonlinear as in linear cases.

Norman Draper (whose book was recommended in the last message) taught an
advanced regression course I took at UW-Madison.  It was a required course
for all PhD students in stat (I was in a different dept., but I took the
course and received an A).  This doesn't prove that Draper would agree
with me, but I think he would.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.