Newbie question: Octave vs MatLab, books, toolboxes, status, etc.

From: Michael Boerner
Subject: Newbie question: Octave vs MatLab, books, toolboxes, status, etc.
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 07:31:52 -0700

Hi:

Sorry for not lurking longer but I need a go/no-go by Aug. 14, 2002.

I have been working on a project that would benefit from MatLab or Octave.
I know nothing about either.  I have joined some of the lists in order to
learn more.  One thing I have learned is that the budget will on support
MatLab!

I am looking to do some DSP, some alg. design for DSP, some neural net work,
etc.  Will Octave support this?  Are there similar toolboxes for Octave as
there are MatLab in these areas?  How far is Octave behind/ahead of MatLab?

Finally, anyone have a reference to a good book?  Specifically on DSP and
alg. development.  Will all MatLab books be compatible with Octave?  My
impression is no.

Thanks in advance.

Michael