inline functions

From: Steffan Berridge
Subject: inline functions
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:32:42 GMT

Hi,

I have just started using Octave, having used Matlab for a
while.  In Matlab I have often used inline functions, they
are very convenient for example when passing a function as
an argument.

For example, the following is a function returning the
square of the argument:

fun = inline('x^2','x');

One can then pass this function as an argument to another
function:

x = foo(fun,...);

So my question is, is there an equivalent construction in
Octave?  If not, what is the best way to pass functions as
arguments?

Thanks,
Steffan