Re: no 'spy' function?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: no 'spy' function?
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:15:56 -0500

On  1-Aug-2002, Victor Eijkhout <address@hidden> wrote:

| At 13:11 -0400 2002/08/01, Paul Kienzle wrote:
| >You can instead do
| >     imagesc(x!=0)
|
| Hm. Nothing. Well, if I leave out the ";" like you did I get lots of
| ascii junk on my screen; if I put it in I get nothing. What is it
| supposed to to? "plot" works fine for me, so I have gnuplot installed
| and working.

The imagesc function eventually calls image which tries to display the
matrix using a shell command something like

  xv [opts] file.ppm || xloadimage [opts] file.ppm || display [opts] file.ppm

Both of these functions are just M-files, so you can easily see what
they are trying to do.

I'd guess that one of these commands succeeds but doesn't do what
Octave expects (display an image).

In any case, I think it would be good to rewrite image to use a
built-in variable that says what image viewer to use and how to invoke
it.  Octave could set a default value, but users could also easily set
their own preference.

jwe