handling NaN

From: Heber Farnsworth
Subject: handling NaN
Date: 30 Jul 2002 16:57:42 -0500

I'm have trouble with NaN values.  I don't mind that they come up
occasionally but I need to know how to get rid of them.  I'm evaluating
a function at various points and I need to pick the maximum point.
Occasionally the point will be an illegal one and it's difficult to
predict when that will happen.  Obviously I don't want that point.
However the following behavior of octave makes it difficult to get the
point I do want.

$ octave -q
octave:1> f = [1 2 3 NaN]
f =

    1    2    3  NaN

octave:2> max(f)
ans = NaN
octave:3> min(f)
ans = NaN
octave:4>

If NaN is both the min and max of any vector it is contained in then how
do I get octave to return the value I want (3 in this case)?

Heber