Re: Detecting Matlab or Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Detecting Matlab or Octave
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:27:19 -0500

On 25-Jul-2002, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| exist returns a larger number if the variable is a built-in.  Check what
| exist('OCTAVE_VERSION') returns in octave against what OCTAVE_VERSION=1;
| exist('OCTAVE_VERSION') returns in matlab.

Yes.  Unfortunately, Octave returns 6 if it is a built-in variable.
But it should maybe return some other number because Matlab seems to
return 6 for p-code files.  Maybe we should use numbers starting at
100 (or something) for things that are in Octave but not Matlab, to
try to avoid conflicts.  What do you think?

jwe