Re: Is there an Octave equivalent to the Matlab ASSIGNIN function?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Is there an Octave equivalent to the Matlab ASSIGNIN function?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:08:29 -0500

It should be possible to write assignin('base',n,V) as a .cc file by adding
or modifying the variable in top_level_sym_tab.  Alternatively, you could use
        eval(['global ', n, '; ', n, '=V;'])
but you will need to define the variable as global in the top level context
to access it.

There is no way to write assignin('caller',...) without modifying the
octave interpreter.  To get the effect of assignin('caller',...), you could
write my_load so that it returns a structure and expand the structure
using:

        for [key,val] = my_load(...)
            eval([key "=val;"]);
        end

Or you could write my_load as a script (not a function!!) which expects the
name of the file to be in a particular variable before it is invoked.  You
have to be a lot more careful with your variables in the my_load script,
though, since they might collide with those in the "caller".

Or you could use the global variable solution I suggested for 'base'.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden