Re: Is it possible to save structs?

From: Roberto Hernandez
Subject: Re: Is it possible to save structs?
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 07:55:30 -0300

Mark Esplin wrote:

        You can save and load structs using the Matlab binary format.  That is
use:

save -mat-binary "test" a

                             -Mark Esplin

That's a good tip, especially since I'm writing some functions that are meant for end-users who might not be able to apply patches to the source.

However, I found a problem with the -mat-binary format when matrix of string elements.

The following example illustrates this. If you look at element "c", you'll find a big change after loading the saved struct. The strings say the same thing if you read them by columns, top to bottom and left to right.

Is there a way to change this?

BTW, if you're teaching any communications classes about coding, this is a great way to illustrate the concept of interleaving ;-).

------------------------------------
octave:9> a
a =
{
  b = 1
  c =

First row
second row

  d =

    1  2
    3  4

  e =

    1  2  3

}
octave:10> save -mat-binary "test" a
octave:11> clear a
octave:12> a
error: `a' undefined near line 12 column 1
octave:12> load test
octave:13> a
a =
{