"-mat-binary" (was : Re: Is it possible to save structs?)

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: "-mat-binary" (was : Re: Is it possible to save structs?)
Date: 05 Dec 2001 11:04:31 -0700

This is almost completely unrelated, but I'll ask in this thread anyway.

I almost always use "-mat-binary" to save sessions, just so I can bring
it up in Matlab if need-be.  I often use the xcov/xcorr functions, which
can return a "lag" vector.  This is an N-column row vector of the
time-lags associated with the correlation function.

If this vector is in memory (it doesn't matter what it is called), I get
an error when trying to save all my variables to "-mat-binary".  Just to
waste band-width, I've attached a summary of commands and output that
illustrate this problem.  Is the "lag" vector returned from the
xcov/xcorr functions a strange data-type?  This is just weird, but not
any kind of show-stopper.  I use 2.1.34 under RH Linux 7.1.

-EJR

-----

octave:217> save -mat-binary og.mat *
warning: save: wrong type argument `range'
warning: near line 217, column 1:

>>> save ("-mat-binary", "og.mat", "*")

error: save: error while writing `lag' to MAT file
octave:217>
octave:217>
octave:217> whos la*

*** local user variables:

prot  type                       rows   cols  name
====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
 rwd  range                         1    481  lag

octave:218> tmp = lag;
octave:219> clear lag
octave:220> save -mat-binary og.mat *
warning: save: wrong type argument `range'
warning: near line 220, column 1:

>>> save ("-mat-binary", "og.mat", "*")

error: save: error while writing `tmp' to MAT file
octave:220> whos tmp

*** local user variables:

prot  type                       rows   cols  name
====  ====                       ====   ====  ====
 rwd  range                         1    481  tmp

octave:221>
octave:221>
octave:221> test
test      test_out
octave:221> test_lag = ones (1,481);
octave:222> clear tmp
octave:223> save -mat-binary og.mat *
octave:224> whos test_lag

*** local user variables:

prot  type                       rows   cols  name
 rwd  matrix                        1    481  test_lag