mkoctfile on an AIX platform?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: mkoctfile on an AIX platform?
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:59:56 -0600

On 30-Nov-2001, Steven R Goncalo <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am trying to port Octave to an IBM machine running AIX 4.3 .
| I can get the program to compile and link as a static image,
| but I can't get it to build using shared object files. I have several
| functions I want to add as a .oct file, and mkoctfile requires the
| shared object version.
|
| I saw from the gcc config file comments that the gnu linker is
| broken on AIX, and they recommended using the native ld.
| AIX evidently treats shared objects differently than most
| unix platforms.
|
| I am not sure if there are there some configuration options
| that I need to specify, or if octave just won't build
| with dynamic linking on AIX. I have AIX 4.3 and 5.1
| available to me if that matters. I'm using GCC 2.95.2.1,
| but I could change that if another flavor works better.
|
| Has anyone succeeded in building a dynamic linked version of
| Octave on AIX and/or used the mkoctfile command on that
| platform?

I believe that I did at one time, but I haven't had access to an AIX
system with sufficient resources for me to actually build Octave
for several years now.

If you submit bug report(s) with the details of the problems you are
having, perhaps someone could find a fix.  It would probably help to
be working with the current sources or at least the most recent 2.1.x
snapshot.

Thanks,

jwe