Re: Reading netcdf files

From: Stephen W. Juranich
Subject: Re: Reading netcdf files
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:06:38 -0800

> Paul,
>
>       Thanks for the reference to http://octave.sf.net/  I am sorry I wasn't
> aware
> of it before.  I tried searching "site:www.octave.org netcdf" on google, but
> didn't find anyone who has a general NetCDF toolbox for Octave.  In fact most
> of the posts to the help-octave list were people looking for a solution.  The
> only solutions that I found was writing c/c++ programs and converting them to
> ".oct" files.  Rafael Laboissiere wrote one called ncsave.cc to write netcdf
> files and I will attach one called ncrdvar.cc to read a netcdf file.  We
> could improve these extentions a bit if it would be useful, but I don't know
> how to write a general NetCDF toolbox.  I didn't look at using the mex
> interface, since I didn't think the regular octave, version 2.1.34 has it
> implemented.
>
>               Mark Esplin
>

> On Tuesday 30 October 2001 12:52 pm, you wrote:
> > http://octave.sf.net/ has many matlab compatible functions (inc. repmat).
> > Click on files to get the latest tar ball.
> >
> > Regarding netcdf, try searching "site:www.octave.org netcdf" on google:
> >     http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awww.octave.org+netcdf
> > Pick whichever solution is the best and let me know so that it too can be
> > included on octave-forge (assuming that the licensing issues can be
> > sorted). Note that octave-forge has a partial mex interface defined, so the
> > matlab netcdf solution may work as well.
> >
> > Paul Kienzle
> > address@hidden

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned (I seem to be entering the
discussion late), but have you tried getting the Matlab NetCDF tools to work
with octave?  You can get them at
http://crusty.er.usgs.gov/~cdenham/MexCDF/nc4ml5.html

I remember installing them for matlab, but I never tried using them with
octave.

We have one professor here in my department who is a big believer in both
Octave and NetCDF.  I forwarded this issue to him to see if he might have any
suggestions.

Good luck.

Stephen W. Juranich                             address@hidden
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic