Reading netcdf files

From: Mark Esplin
Subject: Reading netcdf files
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:04:30 -0500

        I have written a simple ".oct" extension that will read data from a
netcdf
file.  It uses the freely downloadable netcdf library.  See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/.  It is not a fully functional
solution like the HDF5 support built into the latest octave, but it does work.

        Also, I wrote a short script called repmat.m that has the functionality
of
the Matlab function of the same name.

        In a resent collaboration I have had a need to run several Matlab
scripts.
The price of a commercial Matlab license is so expensive that I decide to
take a look at octave.  We are associated with a university, but only as a
research facility so MathSoft wanted to hit us with the commerical licensing
cost.  With the above mentioned extensions, and a few minor edits of the ".m"
files I was able to execute the scripts that I needed.

                         -Mark Esplin

p.s.    I am using GNU Octave, version 2.1.34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)