Re: plot data from multiple arguments

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: plot data from multiple arguments
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:01:32 +0000

  Hi,

  The result of your TestMe() function should be ok, isn't it? What's
wrong is the printed output.  The following function will print
properly w/ a vector x and scalar y and z.

function retval = TestMe( x, y, z )
  printf( "\nx, y, z: %f, %d, %d\n",[x'; [y;z]*ones(1,rows(x))]);
  retval = x + y;
endfunction

data = [x, TestMe(x,3,2)];
plot (data(:,1),data(:,2));

  Your prob has to do w/ printf that matches the %X slots to the
passed arguments, in the order in which it finds them (what else?).

  Hth,

  Etienne

From: "D. Stimits" <address@hidden>

#  I'm trying to plot a function that is similar to sin(). I can easily do
#  this:
#  x = (0.0:0.1:1.0)';
#  data = [x, sin(x)];

#  ...and then plot via "data".

#  However, I have a function that takes 3 arguments, not 1. Two of the
#  arguments will be held constant and only the first argument is being
#  used with "x":
#  function retval = TestMe( x, y, z )
#     printf( "\nx, y, z: %f, %d, %d\n", x, y, z );
#     retval = x + y;
#  endfunction

#  (it'll always be called with x as a float between 0.0 and 1.0, y will
#  always be 3, and z will always be 2)

#  Unfortunately, only the "x" argument is behaving properly. The "y" and
#  "z" arguments should always be printed out as 3 and 2, but they are not.
#  I don't seem to understand this, I thought that "[x, Function(x,3,2)]"
#  would result in 10 rows of data (since x was assigned 10 values), and be
#  two columns wide (since "x" takes one column, and "Function" returns
#  another single value). The second and third arguments to Function should
#  *ALWAYS* be 3 and 2, since those are explicitly stated, and variables
#  are not used. But they are accurate only once. Then they change:
#  octave:1> x = ( 0.0:0.1:1.0 )';
#  octave:2> function retval = TestMe( x, y, z )
#  >    printf( "\nx, y, z: %f, %d, %d\n", x, y, z );
#  >    retval = x + y;
#  > endfunction
#  octave:3> data = [x, TestMe(x,3,2)];

#  x, y, z: 0.000000, 0, 0