Cannot compile octave on Mandrake 8.0

From: Abe Taha
Subject: Cannot compile octave on Mandrake 8.0
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 19:32:20 -0400

I have tried to compile the latest stable version of octave on Mandrake 8.0, and was faced with the following problems:
I am using gcc 2.96
-Some header files would not compile. For example some header files have function prototypes that were acceptable in older C++ implementations but not in the new one. An example would be
int foo();
which when compiled under C++ would mean
int foo(...);
There was an older flag that g++ supported
-fno-strict-prototype
that unfortunately is not supported in the new implementation.

-Some files/headers have variables/enums called "not". While not was not a C++ keyword, it seems to be now in the 2.96 implementation.

Anyone face similar problems? I appreciate your help.