Re: Install Problems Windows Version of OCTAVE

From: Roberto Hernandez
Subject: Re: Install Problems Windows Version of OCTAVE
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:04:03 -0300

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 10:51, Francis Courtois wrote:
| Sorry to disappoint you but I tried your patch and it didn't help too much.
| I think it is for the other reason mentionned elsewhere that says there is
| a memory limitation that disallows the untar process. In my case I get an
| octave directory that contains only 2 Mb instead of 20 (?).

Sorry to hear that.

There are a couple of problems with the Octave for Windows installer. One has
to do with environment space. That one I haven't even tried to fix. The other
has to do with non-English versions of Windows. That's the one my patch tries
to fix.

The patch I sent you was for version 2.1.31 (can't use path names with spaces
for that one). I had the same 2 Mb problem and after applying the patch the
installation procedure worked. Same for a couple of other users that posted
to the net. So the patch works on some systems! :-) There are probably some
differences in yours that I didn't account for.

Recently I made a patch for version 2.1.33. As far as I can remember I'm the
only one who has tried that one. Again, the original installer didn't work,
and now I have a working copy of Octave 2.1.33 on Windows (it works better
than version 2.1.31 BTW).

Getting past the installation on Windows can be a bit tricky, but it's well
worth it.

- Roberto