Re: Compiler problem with 2.1.34, Debian related

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Compiler problem with 2.1.34, Debian related
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:30:59 -0500

Doug,

Maybe we should hash that out off-line.

> I recently updated to Dirk's latest deb package for 2.1.34.
> Now one of my dynamic c++ files will not compile. The problem
> is, I also updated everything else on my system to the latest
> "sid" (a debian release) versions. So this is may very well
> be not octave related at all.

One idea:  rebuild Octave locally. I use the testing branch (i.e.
"woody") and not the unstable ("sid") branch you are using. It
might have to do with one of the libraries therein.  If you have
the Debian internal tools (debhelper, fakeroot, dpkg-dev, ...)
installed, and apt-get source entries, this is just a matter of
    $ apt-get --compile source octave2.1
and a little while later you should have new (local) .debs. Step
by step you can do it
    $ fakeroot debian/rules binary
or even more broken down. Mail me privately in case you need
more detail.

> ruchetta ~/lstm/dynamic>c++ -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4/specs
> gcc version 2.95.4 20010604 (Debian prerelease)

Testing still has the 20010319 version. You could try to downgrade.

> Is there a debian-packaged compiler that should work? I tried gcc++3.0
> but had problems there.  Also, apologies if this repeats an earlier question.

That is the only one I could think of.

Regards, Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.