Octave / Win 2000 memory limitations

From: Chris Mellen
Subject: Octave / Win 2000 memory limitations
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:40:32 +1000

I am currently running Octave 2.1.31 on a Windows 2000 machine with 512Mb of
RAM using the Cygwin bash shell. The biggest array I can create before
seeing  "error: memory exhausted -- trying to return to prompt" has only
about 2100000 elements. Eg, at the command prompt :

temp=zeros(2100000,1);

is ok whereas

temp=zeros(2200000,1);

is not. This array should occupy only about 17Mb - far short of what is
available. I have tried looking for a fix/switch etc in the documentation /
FAQS etc but with no luck. I am not sure if there is a simple fix or if in
fact I am encountering a limitation of the Win2K Dos environment.

Any suggestions much appreciated !

Chris