Re: clues to statically building octave w/extensions?

From: Christoph Spiel
Subject: Re: clues to statically building octave w/extensions?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:25:32 +0200

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 08:45:28AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > Are there any instructions/hints/clues that explain what I need to
> > do to the octave sources to statically compile in my own
>
> I used to do that (for the same reason) under SunOS, but it's been
> a few years.  IIRC you simply "drop" the source files along with
> Octave's original ones, and the build process automagically takes
> it from there.  But I might be missing something here...
>
> > functions?  If someone could explain how to do this with
> > oregonator.cc I'll try to figure it out from there, and also will
> > document the procedure for possible future inclusion in a future
> > release of the octave docs.        -- Al
>
> Very good idea. The Windows crowd needs that too because
> dynamic linking doesn't work there either.

It would be nice for debugging extensions, too.

Following the approach of another Matla|3 clone, mkoctfile could be
extended by the option `--static'.  The result of `--static' should be
an Octave binary (in the current directory unless `--ouput' is given)
which is
(a) statically linked, and
(b) contains all functions defined in the files that are mentioned as
    mkoctfile's args.

-cls

--
Christoph L. Spiel  <address@hidden>