Re: Unidentified subject!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:01:16 -0500

On 23-May-2001, Matthew W. Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

| > what's up with all the SPAM???
|
| Evidently a spambot hit octave.org...

I have not seen a lot of unsolicited commercial mail on this list, at
least not compared to some of the other lists I'm on.

A few years ago, when a similar problem happened with the bug-octave
mailing list, I switched it to being a moderated list, but still with
an open policy for submission of messages.  That way, I would still
receive all bug reports, but could filter out those that were sent
from people not subscribed to the list.  This has mostly worked,
without too much extra work for me.

I don't think a similar policy would work for the help-octave list
because of the volume and the number of people who are not on the list
but are still looking for help with Octave.

However, it is easy enough for me to change the posting policy so that
one must be subscribed to the list in order to post, and if you send a
message to the list when you are not subscribed, you will receive an
automatic replay asking you to subscribe before posting.  One problem
with this is that posts would be rejected from people who have
multiple addresses but are only subscribed using one of them.

If the unsolicted mail becomes more of a problem, I would consider a
solution like this, but I'd also like to know what people think about
it first.

Thanks,

jwe