Re: (OFF TOPIC?) libatlas.so vs. libatlas.a

From: Christoph Spiel
Subject: Re: (OFF TOPIC?) libatlas.so vs. libatlas.a
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:07:57 +0200

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 06:45:16PM +0200, Stef Pillaert wrote:
> *Has someone a recipe on howto build dynamic libraries for atlas?
> (libatlas.so).

I have not tried it yet, but I once got burned by compiling LAPACK and
BLAS for dynamic linking.

My mistake: inconsistent use of '-fpic' flag.  Resulting problem:
mysteriously failing routines, changed behavior when running under
debugger.  Solution: Compile _all_ functions in both libraries,
BLAS and LAPACK with '-fpic'.

So, I would suggest that you add the flag to the CCFLAGS, change
CLINKFLAGS, and adjust CLINKER in the ATLAS Makefile if necessary.
HTH.

> And also for a dynamic lib liblapack.so with the changes that atlas
> provides?

See ATLAS/doc/LAPACK.txt, then follow hint above.

> *Has someone a recipe on how to compile octave with these dynamic
> libraries?

The compilation of Octave is irrelevant here.  Dynamic libraries are
- err - dynamically linked to an executable.  If they are installed
  correctly, they _will_ be used.

-Chris

--
Christoph L. Spiel  <address@hidden>