Re: I need help compiling on Mandrake 8.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: I need help compiling on Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:22:07 -0500

On 23-Apr-2001, Thomas Stuart <address@hidden> wrote:

| Thanks so much for the quick help - yes it was libz - suddenly both octave
| and wine could compile, but neither of their configure's spotted the problem

But Octave should not fail to compile if libz is not present.  As far
as I can tell, it is completely optional, and Octave's configure
script only checks for it when it is checking for the HDF5 libraries.
I don't know whether HDF5 requires libz, but if it does, and libz is
missing, then Octave should not include support for HDF5 or try to
link to libz.

If that is not what happens, can you please submit a complete bug
report for this problem?

Thanks,

jwe