Re: Strange hold/plot behaviour

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Strange hold/plot behaviour
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:26:15 -0600

On 16-Feb-2001, André Rabello dos Anjos <address@hidden> wrote:

|       So, your suggestion brought me another doubt: I'm trying to
| genearate encapsulated postscripts that will go into LaTeX documents. As
| you say, the postscript genearated by hold/replot is actually creating
| another page. But when you use eps, there is only 1 page (and the box of
| course). So, what happens to the drawings? I sometimes can look at them
| using gv, but sometimes I only see blanks. And I push reopen, then the
| figure shows up.
|
|       Is there an easy way to produce EPS figures that won't have all
| this problems and use subplot() and hold?? Probably not with the
| `postscript' drive, I would presume...
|
|       I know I have different possibilities, but eps is really handy for
| other purposes as well (includding printing).

I can think of at least a couple of solutions:

  Fix Octave to work the way you want, then contribute your changes back
  to the project so that others can benefit from your work too, as you
  have perhaps already benefitted from having Octave available to you.

or

  Save your data to a file (or set of files), fire up gnuplot (or any
  one of your other favorite plotting packages), and plot like a
  madman 'til the cows come home.

jwe